Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Five things you didn't know about me

Darn. I guess I can't avoid it. I've been tagged by not just one but two bloggers, Justin Patten and Colin Rule, to participate in the current game of memetag. (A memetag is the blogosphere's equivalent of a chain letter. It requires an act on the recipient's part--in this case to recount five things you don’t know about me--and then the recipient must "tag" others to pass it along. Fortunately nothing bad happens if you break the chain.)

Okay, here goes.

1. You probably know that I was a litigator before I became a mediator. What you probably don’t know, however, is that I really, really, really liked being a litigator. I was highly competitive, liked winning, and loved the performance art theatre that was the courtroom. Not only did I have fun writing briefs, but I especially adored oral argument. And you know what? I still miss it. Shhhh. Just don’t tell the other mediators.

2. When my husband Steve and I got married, we ran away to Las Vegas to do it. And no, we were not married by a parachuting Elvis Presley impersonator.

3. I'm a great cook who has entered numerous recipe contests and won cash prizes. My husband's got the cholesterol level to prove it.

4. There's a commonly held assumption (and, like most assumptions, wrong) that all American mediators are registered Democrats. I'm not. I'm an independent. (However, I'm still a card-carrying member of the ACLU.)

5. On a dare, I once walked across a 20-foot-long bed of live coals.

I tag Geoff Sharp, Victoria Pynchon, Perry Itkin, Stephanie West Allen, and Christoph Stroyer (just to send this game into the German-speaking part of the blogosphere). No pressure, folks!